Road Trippin: Canadian Rockies

17 Mar, 2015

With the lack of snow and mountain closures in Washington, it made perfect sense that I would hop in the car and create my own mountain adventure. I had been wanting to visit more of the Canadian Rockies after visiting Revelstoke during Tailgate BC a couple years back so this made perfect sense that I would start my trip with Revelstoke, check out Kicking Horse and end my journey at Lake Louise before heading home to Washington. A perfect loop, two days of travel with three days of snowboarding.

This ended up being a solo road trip. I invited friends, family and the people I thought might make it happen to join me. But in the end, it would be just me and my trusty Subaru Outback. We were in it together. The best part of this trip is being able to see so many amazing spots. Once I past Revelstoke through Glacier National Park, it was just breathtaking. I couldn’t help but pull over and snap a ton of photos.

One of the fun parts of mapping out my trip is figuring out each place I would stay along the way. In Revelstoke, I found a great spot on airbnb that I’ll highly recommend to any skiers and snowboarders. It’s the beautiful Valley Retreat B&B with views of Revelstoke Mountain in the backdrop. Super comfortable, very clean and a snowboarder’s dream with waxing, boot warmers and the ultimate hot tub with a view. The host made me coffee and breakfast so I could enjoy a full day on the mountain before departing for my next stop of the trip. If you visit Revelstoke, check out this great lodging option. Highly recommend it!

Day 1 of my snowboard journey started in Revelstoke where I was reunited with lots of vertical and perfectly groomed corduroy for long fun laps. Click this to read the full trip report.

Day 2 of my snowboard journey landed me at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort which literally took my breathe away with the beautiful landscape and amazing mountain riding. Click this to read the full trip report.

My final day of snowboarding was at Lake Louise where I was able to just enjoy cruising around when the first snowflakes started to fall. I was finally able to use my Mountain Collective pass that I picked up at SIA this year. Click this to read the full trip report.

It’s always fun to capture a journey when you are your own photographer. I captured this shot at Lake Louise with my GoPro and the mobile app to snap the photo (see the iphone in my left hand).

This trip has been 90% about snowboarding but the other 10% is getting off the highways and seeing the surroundings along the way. On the drive from Lake Louise I drove through Kootenay National Park  and ended up stopping at a couple highway attractions. The Marble Canyon was a really fun hike in the snow, over the bridges and just a rad natural environment to see in person.

I had hoped to visit the Banff hot springs but instead stopped at the Radium Hot Springs midway through my drive. It was the best way to spend a couple bucks, soak up the warm water and rest from the drive.

I’ll continue to add more photos to this post as I document my travel experiences through the Canadian Rockies.

About the author


From the beginning of time, I was Shannon. From the beginning of snowboarding, I was Shay. From the beginning of online communities, I was Shayboarder. In the end, I’m the writer, photographer, editor, publisher, guru of sorts, product tester, curvy girl, and most importantly the snowboarder behind it all. Follow me on this journey through snowboarding, mountain biking, traveling and fun experiences!

Related Posts