08-09 Snowboard Rockers
11 Apr, 2008
Last year at SIA, two snowboard companies released snowboards with reverse camber. For 2008-2009 it looks like more companies will be releasing reverse camber or no camber combinations.
Each company has their own style of reverse camber and each one rides completely different. Each style is also patent pending which explains why one company will not have the same style as another company.
Each board designed with rocker is meant for different riding styles. Some rocker boards are powder specific while others are park specific.
Check back as this post gets updated with more information as released.
6/17/08 I have rode/reviewed these boards for 08-09 that have rocker/reverse camber/no camber:
08-09 GNU B-pro BTX
08-09 Lib Tech Phoenix BTX
08-09 Lib Tech Riders Choice BTX
08-09 Lib Tech Boxscratcher BTX
08-09 Lib Tech McKink BTX
08-09 Lib Tech TRS BTX
08-09 Never Summer Evo R
08-09 Never Summer SL R
08-09 Never Summer Infinity R
08-09 K2 Turbo Dream
08-09 Burton Fix
08-09 Burton Hero
08-09 Capita Horrorscope FK
08-09 Nitro Sub Pop
08-09 Roxy Eminence BTX
Lib Tech Banana Technology
“Banana Technology replaces camber with rocker “banana” between your feet. When you stand on your board, pressure is now applied inward to the edge area at and between your feet as your weight presses out the rocker. The Banana Technology flex pattern is slightly stiffened at the tip and tail to increase pop and stability on big landings. Magne-Traction is incorporated into the Banana Technology (as it should be on every freestyle snowboard) to improve edgehold and put even more control underfoot at your balance point. The end result is a board that is loose and catch-free, presses boxes, rails and jibs extremely well with the preset rocker, maintains pop with a stiffened tip and tail, and turns easily on hardpack when the built in rocker is put on edge. The built in rocker curve makes the board float naturally in powder switch and normal with a centered park stance. The firm nose and tail prevent the board from folding in chunky conditions.The future is Bananas!”
K2 Rocker Technology
“Surf inspired, reverse camber design, providing maximum powder flotation.Sometimes a moment comes in design where you have an epiphany. Camber is for groomers, ROCKER is for powder. The rocker helps the board rise to the surface in powder or any condition, while the rider maintains a centered balance for maximum control. Although designed specifically for powder, we designed enough sidecut to provide great maneuverability and versatility on firmer conditions, or just to get back to the lifts for another lap. We guarantee you’ll have that WTF moment, but in a way that leaves a smile on your face for days.”
Never Summer Snowboards
For 2008-2009 Never Summer is introducing 5 models with reverse camber. The 5 models are Evo R, Legacy R, Revolver R, SL R and Infinity R. These boards will feature RC Technology will feature two cambered areas from the feet out toward the tip and tail and rockered under foot and a Vario Power Grip side-cut.
Update 4/18/08: Snowboard Mag has the Never Summer Press Release here
During my visit to the Nitro snowboards office in Redmond here, they showed me two prototypes they are considering for the 08-09 season. One prototype is a no camber snowboard and the second is a rocker/reverse camber snowboard. Lets see which one they decide on after testing to be the late release. They also might have something else coming back from the past.
Rome will be releasing the Notch and Artifact in limited edition rocker called The Artificat 1985 RC and Notch 1985 RC.
Read about the Signal Park Rocker here
Signal Snowboards is excited to unveil its ultra slick, super mind-blowing 3-stage rocker board. Steeps, deeps, bumps, jumps, rails, boxes and catapults—ride it anywhere, this board does it all! Comes in three sizes, 152, 156, 158! Lightweight and affordable, collect all three! Available Fall 2008.
- Soft flex and unique design make it an excellent board for all riding levels.
- PARK ROCKER has reverse camber, making it not only a great board for the park, but also a versatile board in powder.
- PARK ROCKER has silk-screened topsheet with multiple windows revealing core.
- PARK ROCKER cores are 100% Poplar, utilizing a 180-degree Opposing Grain Structure; hand-laminated and cut with our very own C&C machine in-house at The Lodge!
- Signal cores use no finger joints!
- Average weight is a feather light 1.4lbs! Strong, Durable, and Long-lasting POP!
- All boards in the series (152, 156, 158) are made with machine-stitched Biaxial Glass Weaves for durability, soft flex pattern and lightest possible weight.
- PARK ROCKER has a Radial Sidecut. The flex, stance, and sidecut are symmetrical — whether you ride the PARK ROCKER backwards or forward the geometry is spot on.
- Our Magnum ABS Sidewalls offer the perfect blend of high impact resistance and
- Ultra slick Sintered Base.
- All Signal die-cut bases are assembled in-house at The Lodge.
Burton has the new V Rocker featuring a 3-point rocker with a scoop tip and tail. Boards available are the Lip Stick and Hero.
-Capita has the Horrorscope video here